This page includes information about Arrowsmith Naturalists, Newsletters, and Membership.
Arrowsmith Naturalists were founded in 1970 to know, enjoy, and preserve nature. We are affiliated with B.C. Nature and Nature Canada. Our members are a knowledgeable, committed and welcoming group who enjoy monthly meetings and field trips.
Our monthly meetings bring members up-to-date on activities and gives them an opportunity to share information. A variety of topics are presented through our speakers, some who are experts in their field, and topics range from environmental issues to world travelogues.
The club takes an active role in special events such as:
- The Christmas Bird Count as part of the North American National Audubon Society count.
- Stewardship of the Englishman River Estuary, which includes the removal of invasive plants. In November 2015, Ducks Unlimited gave the Wetlands Conservation Award to the Arrowsmith Naturalists Club for the work of its members, who have been monitoring and preserving wildlife habitat at the Englishman River Estuary for more than a decade.
Come join us pulling broom for about 90 minutes. on the first and third Thursday of each month at 9:30 at the foot of Shelly Rd. The group goes for coffee afterwards.
- Conducting various nature surveys such as the Coastal Waterbird Survey and the Beached Bird Survey
- Supporting the Nature Kids BC.
- Supporting and networking with other organization concerned with nature conservation.
What we do
Meetings are held from September to June at St.Anne & St. Edmund’s Church Hall, 407 Wembley Rd, Parksville, B.C. You can find more information about our meetings on the Meetings and Outings page.
Field trips are held several times a month (find the calendar here). On these organized walks you will discover and appreciate the birds, wild flowers, plants, mushrooms, insects, trees, marine life, geology, etc. of the region. Schedules of field trips and meetings are printed in the Club Newsletter published three times a year. Upon becoming a member of the Arrowsmith Naturalists, you automatically become member of BC Nature and receive their newsletter four times a year.
Please see our Membership page for more information! This page includes our membership forms if you wish to join the club or one of our outings.
You can find all of our archived newsletters on the Newsletters page.